Academy of Biomedical Science and Nursing/Allied Health
Spartans “Leading the Way” to an Improved Future
Whether discovering new cancer treatments or teaching healthy lifestyle choices to their communities, today’s biomedical science professionals are tackling big challenges to make the world a better place. The students are taking on these same real-world challenges – and they’re doing it before they even graduate from high school. Working with the same tools used by professionals in hospitals and labs, students engage in compelling, hands-on activities and work together to find solutions to problems. Students take from the courses in-demand knowledge and skills they will use in high school and for the rest of their lives, on any career path they take.
Benefits of our academy:
- Only program in area with Biomedical Science and Nursing/Allied Health focus!
- PLTW – Nationally recognized, college credits for courses
- Articulation agreement with RCGC, Rowan University, Nemours Pediatrics
- Courses, college credits, internships
- Dual Credit Opportunities for Biomedical Science Academy
- Adv. Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Biomedical Ethics
- CHOICE of Electives
- Nursing/Allied Health
- STEAM Opportunity – Medical Illustration
- AP Offerings
- Other electives in the high school catalog
Courses in the Academy of Biomedical Sciences and Nursing/Allied Health
Biomedical Science Courses (PLTW courses)
- 1st Year – Principles of Biomedical Sciences (PBS)
- 2nd Year – Human Body Systems (HBS)
- 3rd Year – Medical Interventions (MI)
- 4th Year – Biomedical Innovations (BI)
Nursing/Allied Health Track – the nursing track is optional!
*Please Note: Courses are subject to change based on DHS and RCGC teacher availability/schedules.
- (Starts in 10th Grade, Semester-Long Courses)
- 1st Year – Medical Terminology (with Mrs. Canobbio – dual credit), Personal Finance and Business Literacy (NJ Graduation Requirement)
- 2nd Year – Nutrition (RCGC Online Course in, and Biomedical Ethics (with Mrs. Canobbio – dual credit)
- 3rd Year – Patient Care (at RCGC), and Pharmacology (at RCGC).
Biomedical Engineering Track – this track is optional! Students take select courses from the Academy of Engineering to get the engineering background to accompany their Biomedical Science program.
- 1st Year/11th Grade – Introduction to Engineering Design (IED)
- 2nd Year/12th Grade – TBD
STEAM – Medical Illustrations Track – the STEAM track is optional!
Students are given opportunities to develop skills and techniques that will help them master the art of medical illustration in addition to other themes of art.
- 1st Year – Drawing and Design I and II* (Required of all students for Visual and Performing Arts credits – except students in band or choir)
- 2nd Year – Drawing and Design III and IV
- 3rd Year – Advanced Painting I and II
- 4th Year – Student Choice
Course Selection Templates
Biomedical Science PLTW Certified Staff:
- Linda Canobbio, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Principles of Biomedical Sciences (PBS)
- Medical Interventions (MI)
- Medical Terminology
- Matthew Whitaker, email@example.com
- Human Body Systems (HBS)
- Mr. Whitaker is also a teacher in the Academy of Engineering and Computer Science
- Tammy Egner, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advanced Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Advanced Placement (AP) Biology